Caviar is a delicacy prepared from sturgeon fish eggs. It is eaten by most people very rarely or on special occasions. Why? It is believed to be a luxury. However, it doesn’t really have to be a luxury as you think. There are ways you can make this delicacy a regular part of your diet.
Why Is Caviar Incredible?
It is fascinating that caviar surpasses the criteria of superfood. What makes it so?
1. Vitamins and Minerals: They contain a number of vitamins and minerals needed for proper functioning of the body. One of its minerals, selenium is known to boost the immune system, and protect the body against oxidative stress, hence, reducing the chance of cancer. A tablespoon of caviar meets the daily requirement for vitamin B12
2. Unsaturated fatty acids: It contains omega-3 fatty acids which help in the proper functioning of the nervous and cardiovascular systems. This reduces the risk of having a heart attack and stroke
3. Treats infertility in males: Research has proven the efficacy of caviar in treating impotency. This is also due to its many rich nutritional contents.
4. Alleviate Depression: Caviar can help lift your mood because of the presence of omega-3.
5. Used for Skin Treatment: The nutritional content of sturgeon fish eggs makes it a choice ingredient in beauty treatment as it is known to give young-looking skin.
Spending Less on Caviar
In the past, caviar is very expensive because it can only be prepared from eggs of matured female sturgeons. Getting this kind of fish Is not a small feat. Importation from other countries also contributed to the increase in price.
Presently, caviar is not very expensive. This stems from the advances of fish farming and the discovery of sturgeons in the United States rivers. However, it is only still affordable, not cheap. This is because rearing female sturgeon to maturity and subsequent harvest of their eggs is labour-intensive.
The rate at which you can eat caviar will depend on your budget and the variety you want to buy. Some varieties and estimated prices are listed below. You can differentiate between varieties by their sizes, flavor and texture.
1. the black beluga caviar which sells at $200/oz
2. the white sturgeon caviar which sells at $50/oz,
3. the hackleback caviar which sells at $30/oz
4. the paddle stick sturgeon black caviar which sells at $20/oz
5. the orange salmon caviar which sells at $6/oz.
If you are a lover of caviar, and you earn a modest income, eating the delicacy every day won’t necessarily be a big deal especially if you opt to eat with other food.
Food to Eat Caviar with
1. Eggs and Buttered Black Bread: Caviar served with buttered black bread and scrambled eggs are great for breakfast.
2. Blini and Chives: Enjoy your caviar by eating it together with blini, a pancake prepared from wheat. A spoonful of caviar on top of blini sprinkled with chives will do the magic.
3. Cucumber: Cucumber topped with caviar will serve you a refreshing meal. The neutral taste of cucumber provides a great way to savour the caviar flavour.